Sunday, September 2, 2012

LCLB September 2012 Newsletter

*|MC:SUBJECT|*
Welcome to the second edition of the LCLB Newsletter!
Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.


Low Carb Ladybug Newsletter

September 2012

ONEderland!


 
September is my birthday month.  The picture above was taken at my 40th birthday party.  When I got the photos back I took a good long look and hated what I saw.  I knew something had to be done or this could be my last birthday. 

It took me about 9 months of different diets, with little success, before I began low carbing.  I realized quickly that this was different, my cravings and constant hunger were dissapearing.  I set a goal to lose 200 pounds.  I really didn't think I would achieve this goal because I had failed at every other diet.  I decided to break down this to 10 pound goals, which seemed more manageable.  It worked, a day at a time, a pound at a time. 

I will be celebrating my 46th birthday this month.  Have I lost the 200 pounds?  Not yet, but I am not giving up!  I am celebrating with a big accomplishment....ONEderland!  I have not been this weight for a very long time, high school, maybe.  So what is my next goal...190 pounds and half my body weight gone! 
 
-Susan aka The Low Carb Ladybug 
Low Carb 101-Slow weight loss, stalls and plateaus



 
Every dieter has slowed down, stalled out or reached a plateau at some point and time.  It is very easy to become frustrated and throw in the towel and think this just isn't working for me.  This can lead to falling off the wagon, regaining lost weight or just giving up completely.  In many instances it is just your body adjusting to all the healthy changes you have been making and getting comfortable where it is at.

After following a low carb way of eating for over five years, I have had this happen many times.  I have tried a variety of things to get the scale moving again.  The majority of the time I found that I haven't been honest with my plan and let the carbs creep back in.  You know a little bite of this or taste of that.  These things do add up.  I find that I do best when I am tracking my foods.  I use MyFitnessPal and love that I can keep track, search foods at home or on the go with my smartphone app.  You are welcome to follow me on MFP, my username is QZISUE.

My Fitness Pal

As I said, carb creep is a big part of having slow weight loss.  You might think you are at the ideal carb level, however, if you are not weighing and measuring (I know it sucks) or you are depending on retaurant values (they probably aren't accurate) you are probably eating more than you thought.  Here is a link to several hidden carb calculators.

HLCL Hidden Carb Calculator

Hidden Carbs Calculator

Genaw Hidden Carb Calculator

Here are some more useful links on stalls, plateaus and slow weight loss.

4 Reasons for Stalled Weight Loss

How to Handle a Plateau

Weight Loss Stalls and Plateaus

Atkins Weight Loss Plateau

I recently had this problem and decided to try the Atkins Fat Fast.  Here is my blogpost with the details.

Atkins Fat Fast

Take Care of Yourself!
 

Sometimes we get so busy taking care of others that we forget about ourselves.  Especially during this time of year.  From the back to school rush through the holidays, time is going to fly by.  Be sure to take time out each and every day for yourself. 

One way to take care of yourself and celebrate your small victories is by pamering yourself.  A pedicure, a new lipstick or just trying a new hairstyle.  Many of us have used food to celebrate, look for other ways to do this that do not include food.

Here is a link to Yahoo's best beauty links of 2012.  Maybe there is something there you can use to celebrate your next success!

Yahoo Best Beauty Products of 2012


 
When I was at my heaviest, even walking was difficult.  I had heard about T-Tapp through an online support group.  I purchased the Rehabilitation DVD, for those with "More to Lose."  I really enjoyed this workout.  I lost the video during the move, but I plan on ordering the basic workout.  Are there any T-Tappers out there?  Let me know how you are doing! 
T-Tapp

 

 Low Carb Blogs

 

This month I would like to give you a list of blogs written by low carb doctors.  They will keep you updated on all the latest low carb and health science.   

Wheat Belly Blog

Dr. Mike Eades/Protein Power

Diet Doctor

Dr.Briffa

Carbohydrates Can Kill




 Low Carb In The News

Eating egg yolks accelerates atherosclerosis in a manner similar to smoking cigarettes, new research shows. Say what!?

My two cents. I have been low carbing for over five years now. During that time I ate eggs (2-3) pretty much daily. Three years ago I passed out and ended up having a series of medical tests ran, including an ultrasound of my carotoid arteries. At that time, there was a build up of plaque which concerned my doctor enough that he requested I follow up the following year. Time flew by and two years later I went in for that follow up exam. What did they find...no plaque build up! Was I on a statin, no, I never filled the prescription. So this leads me to believe that my healthy low carb way of eating and exercise program was working. It also seems that when I was at my heaviest that I probably did have more plaque build up and that when I changed to this lifestyle it started reducing.

Here is a link to an article on the study.

Science Daily

Egg-Cholesterol-Smoking Study

Here are several excellent responses to this article.


Dr. Briffa's response

Mark Sisson's response

Low Carb Conversations

Tom Nikkola's response

 

Primal, Paleo and Real Foods

You may have heard the terms Primal, Paleo, Caveman Diet, Paleolithic diet all have similarities that boil down to cleaning up your diet to eat the real foods our ancestors ate.  Although some may dissagree that these are low carb plans, I feel that they are much lower in carbohydrates than the typical american diet filled with processed foods. 

I am very interested in cleaning the processed foods out of my diet and choosing better quality foods.  Eating real foods make sense to me. 

Here are some links to learn more about this way of eating.


Paleo Resources:

Chris Kresser’s Personal Paleo Code

Nom Nom Paleo iPad App

Paleo Hacks; A place to ask questions about diet, exercise & lifestyle

Paleo Magazine

Robb Wolf’s Paleo Shopping Guide

Whole 30


Paleo Podcasts:

Balanced Bites (Diane Sanfilippo & Liz Wolfe)

Ben Greenfield Fitness

Dishing Up Nutrition (Nutritional Weight & Wellness)

Fat Burning Man (Abel James)

Latest in Paleo (Angelo Coppola)

Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf)

Primal Body Primal Mind Radio (Nora Gedgaudas)

Revolution Health Radio (Chris Kresser)

Underground Wellness (Sean Croxton)

 



Low Carb Cruise 2013

 

This past May I was fortunate enough to attend the 5th Annual Low Carb Cuise on the Carnival Magic. I recommend to anyone who follows a Low Carb or Primal/Paleo lifestyle join us on the 2013 cruise.

Here is a list of the tentative speakers.

ROBB WOLF
JIMMY MOORE
DR. MARY VERNON
DR. JAY WORTMAM
DR. LARRY MCCLEARY
DR. CATE SHANAHAN
DR. DWIGHT LUNDELL
DR. ANDREAS EENFELDT & LCHF FRIENDS FROM SWEDEN
JACKIE EBERSTEIN – TRIBUTE TO DR. ROBERT C. ATKINS
DR. JAYSON & MIRA CALTON
DAVE ASPREY
JONATHAN BAILOR
 
PLUS, ANOTHER GREAT ROAST OF THE GUEST SPEAKERS BY TOM NAUGHTON!

Click here for more cruise info!
Low Carb Recipe
 
This month I would like to give you one of my own recipes.  Here in Texas we have been able to buy Hatch Chilis at the local grocery store.  I normally make this recipe with Anaheim Chilies, but they were delicious and a bit more spicy with the Hatch Clilies.

Stuffed Mexi-Peppers

1 pound grass fed hamburger

1 cup low carb sf salsa (I used Leals)

8 Hatch or Anaheim Chilis, fresh

1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese

Salt, pepper, garlic to taste

Preheat oven to 350

Add hamburger to skillet and season with salt, pepper and garlic. Crumble & fry until done.

While browning wash chilis and split in half, remove seeds and spread into casserole pan.

Once hamburger is brown, drain fat if you like. Add salsa and mix well into hamburger until warm.

Spread meat into/onto chilis and then top with cheese. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes.
I then broil for 3-5 minutes to get bubbly.

Serves 4

My Fitness Pal says

6 net carbs per serving

12.2g fat

18.6 pro

Serve with Avocado & Sour Cream


 
Low Carb Podcasts and Videos

 
Here are a couple of podcasts that I recently started listening too.  Not all about low carb, but informational just the same.

Live Love Eat

Dr. Lo Radio Show

Theses podcasts will give you more in your arcenal to combat weight loss stalls and plateaus.  I even found an old LLVLC You Tube video for fun!

What are Hidden Carbs?

Why am I not losing?

What to do about a stall

LLVLC: Breaking a weight loss stall

 Low Carb Lisa's Book Lists
 
Trying to overthrow the hold junk and fast food have over you? Trying to kick the processed food habit? Tired of feeling sick and tired? Can a caveman diet of wild plants and animals save us from diseases of civilization? Eat local! Eat whole!  Or at least read about it. . .

 Paleo Eating
• It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways by Melissa Hartwig
• The New Evolution Diet by Arthur De Vany
• Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle by Diane Sanfilippo
• Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life by Nora Gedgaudas
• The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf
• The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Body Transformation by Mark Sisson
• The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless  Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy by Mark Sisson
 
Whole Food & Paleo Cookbooks
• Cuisine for Whole Health by Pauli Halstead
• Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-free Kids by The Paleo Parents
• Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso
• Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso
• Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes for Any Occasion by Bill Staley
• Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats by Sally Fallon
• Odd Bits by Jennifer McLagan
• Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen by Julie Mayfield
• Paleo Slow Cooking by Chrissy Gower
• Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat by Melissa Joulwan
• World’s Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan
  
Whole Food Eating
• Death by Supermarket: The Fattening, Dumbing Down, and Poisoning of America by Nancy Deville
•  Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Cate Shanahan
• Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You  by Margaret Floyd
• Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection by Jessica Prentice
• The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body by Tyler Graham
• The Liberation Diet by Kevin Brown
• The Real Food Revival by Sherri Brooks Vinton
• The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements by Sandor Katz
• Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine by Ron Schmid

Copyright © *|2012|* *|LCLB|*, All rights reserved.
*|September 2012|* *|Newsletter|*

Our mailing address is:

LowCarbLadyBug@gmail.com


Low Carb Ladybug logo created by K. Surace (Thanks K)

  
 
 








Sent to *|EMAIL|* — why did I get this?
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences
*|LIST:ADDRESSLINE|*
*|REWARDS|*
 

No comments: